iklan

Baked Creamy Corn Casserole

This dish is one my Mom didn’t make typically as I can in simple terms recall it a number of instances her making it but if she did make it I went nuts over it.  Now her recipe was beautiful fundamental and it didn’t name for heavy cream – she used condensed milk and onions.  Now I’ve grown to relish them or even love them in some dishes but now not in this.  No, now not in this. Well as a result of her now not making it that typically I truthfully forgot about it.



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup milk, divided
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
  • 1 1/2 Tbl sugar
  • 2 Tbl flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4–5 cups corn kernels, recent or frozen (thawed) – properly drained
  • 2 extensive eggs
  • 1/4–1/2 cup shredded Asiago (optional)
  • Chives for garnish

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 400F, rack within the middle.
  • Lightly spray a 2 quart baking dish.
  • In a medium-to-large saucepan over medium warmth upload within the cream, 1/4 cup milk, sugar and butter.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • While the cream combination is heating up make a slurry of the flour and remaining 1/4 cup milk by whisking collectively till properly combined.
  • Whisk collectively the eggs till properly beaten.
  • Once the milk involves a boil, upload within the flour slurry and whisk till thickened a little – ~30 seconds to a minute.
  • Remove from the warmth and upload within the corn and salt blending to combine.
  • Slowly upload within the eggs whereas blending the complete time – you don't desire the eggs to curdle.
  • Pour the combination into the ready baking dish.
  • Bake for 30 minutes or till the best is puffy and golden brown. *See notice if utilizing cheese
  • Remove from the oven and permit to cool for 10-15 minutes earlier than serving so it may agency up and set.

Notes

  • If you’re topping it with cheese take away the dish 25 minutes after baking. Sprinkle the cheese on after which return to the oven for one other 5 minutes. 

It wasn’t till a month or so ago I saw on Pinterest anything comparable to what Mom used to make by Chef-In-Training (love her web web website btw!) Immediately all these childhood testimonies got here again and I needed to make it. I appeared by my vintage household recipes and discovered Mom’s and went to town.

The in simple terms actual difference among my candy corn casserole was one used all milk and the different used condensed milk. This variety of casserole is beautiful universal and regular – 2 eggs, 1 cup liquid, flour to make the slurry and butter.  The change-up comes with the add-ins meaning corn, seasoning, cheese, crispy bacon and so forth.

This Cheesy Corn Casserole is one to maintain on your recipe information as you'll be able to cross nuts with it at the modifications you'll be able to make with it. Since I needed that creamy texture I opted for half cream and half milk although you might most unquestionably cross with half and half.  I don’t love it with simply milk simply thanks to the fact it doesn’t fairly have that creamy consistency I choose in my souffle-type-casseroles.

As for the corn Mom in simple terms ever used recent corn off the cob.  Now she has used canned earlier than but I can style the difference. I like canned corn but nothing, nothing beats the style of corn off the cob!  Since I’m a think-ahead-type-of-girl I had about 5 quarts of corn off the cob frozen within the freezer.  I grabbed a bag and had at it. This truthfully can’t be any simpler to make.  I swear the toughest section of all of it was understanding if I needed to lay different stuff in it – bacon, cheese, chives, jalapeno and so forth. Trust me I might have so long gone overboard with this!

But to maintain it semi-true to form, I left it nearly the comparable besides I garnished it with in simple terms a wee little bit of Asiago. Why? Why not! I in reality just like the taste marriage of candy corn and Asiago.  It simply ‘makes sense’ to me. This dish chefs up in beneath 30 minutes and units up beautifully.  They key to any casserole is as soon as you take away it from the oven, you must let it relaxation for a little to set and agency up.  Kind of like lasagna.  Did you ever take lasagna out of the oven after which at present cross to chop it in simple terms to ought to fall into an enormous ol’ pile of mush; delicious mush but nonetheless mush.  It’s now not visually appealing at all.

As I pulled this out of the oven Mr. Fantabulous walked by and appeared at it, began to stroll away, stopped and got here again for a moment look.  He requested what it was so I stated “it’s a corn casserole souffle-type factor my Mom used to make”. He then requested if he favored it.  LOL  Why do of us ask this?  I can barely rely what I like yet I am to recognise what you like?  I stated “Probably but I’ve by no means made it before. I forgot about this dish till these days once I saw person submit theirs.”  He simply shrugged, requested when dinner was and walked away. He’s so precious…

While this was resting I got the relaxation of the dinner plated – creamy mashed potatoes, roasted fowl and honey buttered biscuits.   I swear I in reality need one in all these massive ol’ dinner bells in my kitchen simply simply thanks to the fact I desire to see Mr. Fantabulous come operating to the table.  It’s humorous as my Dad had one in all these outdoor and would use it to ring by the region to permit us to recognise it was time to come home.  He would ring it slowly 10 instances and if he didn’t see us approaching the residence by the time the final bell rung we have been in massive trouble.

For me all it took was a single chew to fall again in love with this dish.  It’s eggy and creamy, agency and corn-y.  Er, you recognise the place I was going with this. LOL  Honestly I can’t say regardless of even if or now not Mr. Fantabulous favored it simply thanks to the fact I was in my very own little global throughout dinner considering about this dish and simply instances when Mom would make it.  It wasn’t till the subsequent day once I made us a plate of leftovers for lunch did I rely simply how AMAZING that's the day-after.  Again, that's like lasagna and chili.  Those 2 dishes are at all times higher the subsequent day.  I’m now not certain why with this – perhaps it’s all of the sweetness of the corn or the cheese or the cream but no matter it is, I literally might have sat down with the relaxation of the casserole dish in entrance of me and ate the complete thing!

Think Thanksgiving and Christmas area dish!
Definitely maintain this recipe helpful on your kitchen as it’s one you’re going to make often! This one unquestionably got bumped to the best of the recipe lists for aspects in my kitchen!  But wait, there’s more!  If you desire to make this a full-blown dinner casserole you'll be able to upload in cooked chicken, turkey, red meat or ham!  Like I said, the listing is endless!

Baked Creamy Corn Casserole
Author: The Kitchen Whisperer
Whether it’s a area dish or a principal dish, this Baked Creamy Cheesy Corn Casserole is a vast household favorite!

Whether it’s a area dish or a principal dish, this Baked Creamy Cheesy Corn Casserole is a vast household favorite!

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel

Read More About This Recipe Click Here